Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Teenage Boys- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Since sonny boy has yet to find a "summer" job, I've requested that he pitch in with the stuff that just needs to get done. He's vacuumed, done laundry, addressed the Cable TV issues. Last week, I asked him to please do a good deed and pick up his grandfather and bring him to our house for dinner. A 45 min. round trip journey. Ok- it was slightly raining, but he has had his license for quite some time. Did I mention-like many teenage boys--he's not the most cautious driver. He couldn't blast the radio on his way back home with Grandpa so they chatted. It was pretty much stop and go traffic on the highway, as it usually is. Well, I don't know about you, but I've told my kids since before they could even think about driving, that one of the most important rules of the road is to keep a reasonable distance from the car in front of you--give yourself room. Long story short, he didn't, and he rear ended the car in front of him. Grandpa had moments before told him he was following too closely, but I guess 65+ yrs. of driving experience had no influence. Thankfully, everyone was OK and the guy he hit wasn't much older than him and had no damage. The car my son was driving is 13 yrs. old and has 150K mileage.  Did I mention the bent hood, which would cost probably 3X more to fix than what the car is worth. It's really no wonder teenage boys' insurance costs are so high. Hey, anyone need a car for parts?

No comments:

Post a Comment